10.07.2010

A new discovery

Since I have gone to all-grain brewing I have been having a difficult time figuring out where my efficiency is going. I have long speculated that it was from the crush I was getting from the local brew shops, honestly is just didn't look good enough but there was nothing I could do. Tuesday I went to crush my 2-row for yesterdays double brew day and I had noticed the the crush from the local shop looked much finer. I asked around and nobody knew anything but as the day finished I ran the numbers and found my efficiency had jumped by almost nine points.

This tells me something, and I am willing to bet that if I had crushed all my grains from the local shop I would have seen a much bigger increase. Side Note: I buy bulk 2-row locally and thus crush at the store but get my specialty grains elsewhere and I am subject to their crusher. So once I can get a job again I will re-order my crusher and hopefully see the increase I am expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment